The Fergus Falls Kirkbride Building opened in 1890 as the Fergus Falls State Hospital, designed by architect Warren B. Dunnell under the Kirkbride Plan, a 19th-century model for asylum construction developed by psychiatrist Thomas Story Kirkbride. The plan called for staggered wings extending from a central administration block, allowing maximum light and ventilation to patient wards. Utility rooms like this one, fitted with deep basin sinks for washing linens and medical equipment, supported the daily operations of a campus that once housed more than 2,000 patients at its peak in the mid-20th century. The hospital operated under various names, including Fergus Falls Regional Treatment Center, until its closure in 2005. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, and redevelopment plans for the long-vacant structure have been discussed by the city and preservation groups for years.
Photo taken in June 2014.