Kings Park Psychiatric Center opened in 1885 as the Kings County Asylum for the Insane, later becoming a New York State institution that at its peak housed more than 9,000 patients across dozens of buildings on the Long Island campus. Many of the wards were built with private rooms and lockable doors rather than open dormitories, a design meant to reflect contemporary ideas about patient dignity. The hospital operated its own power plant, farm, and rail spur to sustain a population that functioned nearly as a self-contained town. State budget cuts and the shift toward outpatient psychiatric care led to a steady decline in the mid-20th century, and the facility closed in 1996. Its vacant buildings have sat untouched for decades, with lead paint and plaster falling from the walls in layers that record decades of use and neglect.
Photo taken in September 2008.