The Fergus Falls Kirkbride Building's basement housed the mechanical infrastructure that kept the asylum self-sufficient, including steam and water lines routed through service tunnels like this one. The complex, designed by Warren B. Dunnell and opened in 1890, followed the Kirkbride Plan, which called for centralized heating and utility systems to serve the institution's many connected wards. These below-grade corridors linked the central administration building to its flanking wings, allowing staff to move supplies and maintain pipework without disrupting patient areas above. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Photo taken in June 2014.