Attic Room with Coat Hooks, Fergus Falls Kirkbride Building, Minnesota

Abandoned institutional room with turquoise and cream walls, peeling ceiling, and exposed pipes at Eagle Island.
Abandoned institutional room with turquoise and cream walls, peeling ceiling, and exposed pipes at Eagle Island.

The Fergus Falls Kirkbride Building opened in 1890 as the main structure of the Fergus Falls State Hospital, an institution built to house and treat patients with mental illness. Architect Warren B. Dunnell designed it according to the Kirkbride Plan, a 19th-century model developed by psychiatrist Thomas Story Kirkbride that arranged wards in a stepped, linear layout to give patients access to natural light and ventilation. Upper-level rooms in the building's wings were used for staff quarters and storage rather than patient care, which took place mainly on the lower floors. The hospital operated for over a century before closing in the 1990s, and the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.

Photo taken in June 2014.

Map
Nearby Photos

Built in Minneapolis

Minneapolis Photographer

Browse by location, move through long-running series, or start with recent work.