Gymnasium, Fergus Falls Kirkbride Building, Minnesota

Abandoned institutional hallway with blue women's restroom door and white tile walls at Eagle Island Psychiatric Hospital.
Abandoned institutional hallway with blue women's restroom door and white tile walls at Eagle Island Psychiatric Hospital.

The Fergus Falls Kirkbride Building operated as the Fergus Falls State Hospital, opening in 1890 as part of Minnesota's network of Kirkbride-plan psychiatric facilities. The gymnasium served the hospital's recreation program, offering patients organized exercise as part of the era's therapeutic treatment model. The hospital complex closed in the 1990s, and portions of the sprawling structure have sat vacant since, with adaptive reuse plans proposed for the site in subsequent decades.

Photo taken in June 2014.

Map
Nearby Photos

Built in Minneapolis

Minneapolis Photographer

Browse by location, move through long-running series, or start with recent work.