Kings Park Psychiatric Center operated in Kings Park, New York, from 1885 until its closure in 1996, at its peak housing more than 9,000 patients across dozens of buildings on the state hospital campus. Many structures were organized into numbered wards and cottages, a system meant to segregate patients by diagnosis and treatment stage as the institution expanded through the early twentieth century. The hand-painted sign reading "Welcome to the Three's" refers to one such ward designation, a naming convention once common across the sprawling grounds. New York State transferred much of the property to Kings Park Bluff and Nissequogue River State Park after decommissioning, leaving many of the original buildings standing but unused. Peeling paint, collapsed ceiling tiles, and deteriorating plaster throughout the corridors reflect decades of exposure following the facility's abandonment.
Photo taken in September 2008.