Kings Park Psychiatric Center operated as a New York State mental hospital from 1885 until its closure in 1996. At its peak population in the 1950s, the campus housed more than 9,000 patients across dozens of buildings, making it one of the largest psychiatric facilities in the country. Communal washrooms like this one, fitted with long stainless-steel trough sinks, served entire wards rather than individual rooms, a design common to institutional dormitories built before private plumbing became standard. The state transferred much of the campus to Kings Park Bluff and surrounding parkland after decommissioning, leaving many of the original ward buildings unused and structurally unstable.
Photo taken in September 2008.