Piano and recreation room, Fergus Falls Kirkbride Building, Minnesota

Abandoned institutional room with bright orange walls, wooden paneling, piano, and geometric tile floor at Eagle Island
Abandoned institutional room with bright orange walls, wooden paneling, piano, and geometric tile floor at Eagle Island.

The Fergus Falls Kirkbride Building operated as the Fergus Falls State Hospital, opening in 1890 under the Kirkbride Plan of moral treatment for the mentally ill. Designed by Willoughby J. Edbrooke, the complex housed patients until the state closed the facility in the early 2000s. Rooms like this one, used for recreation and therapy, were part of the hospital's effort to provide structured daily activities alongside medical care. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Photo taken in June 2014.

Map
Nearby Photos

Built in Minneapolis

Minneapolis Photographer

Browse by location, move through long-running series, or start with recent work.