Kings Park Psychiatric Center opened in 1885 as the Kings County Farm for the Insane, later expanding under New York State control into dozens of interconnected ward buildings across its Long Island campus. At its peak population in the 1950s, the facility housed more than 9,000 patients, making it one of the largest psychiatric institutions in the country. Many of its structures relied on a centralized layout of long corridors connecting patient rooms, a design meant to ease staff supervision across crowded wards. The hospital closed in phases between the 1980s and 1996, following a statewide shift toward deinstitutionalization and outpatient mental health care. Several buildings remain standing on the property, which is now partly managed as Nissequogue River State Park.
Photo taken in September 2008.