Rotary Telephone on Floor, Kings Park Psychiatric Center

Deteriorated courtyard floor with abandoned blue metal fixture and rusted iron gate at Kings Park Psychiatric Center.
Deteriorated courtyard floor with abandoned blue metal fixture and rusted iron gate at Kings Park Psychiatric Center.

Kings Park Psychiatric Center opened in 1885 as the Kings County Farm for the Insane and grew into one of New York State's largest psychiatric institutions, housing more than 9,000 patients at its peak in the 1950s. The campus once operated its own power plant, farm, and rail spur to support dozens of wards spread across the grounds. State budget cuts and a shift toward outpatient care led to a gradual decline, and the facility closed in 1996. A rotary telephone, left behind on the floor of one of the ward buildings, is a remnant of the internal communication system that once connected staff across the sprawling campus.

Photo taken in September 2008.

Map
Nearby Photos

Built in Minneapolis

Minneapolis Photographer

Browse by location, move through long-running series, or start with recent work.