Creedmoor Psychiatric Center opened in Queens Village, Queens, in 1912 as the Farm Colony of Brooklyn State Hospital, taking on the Creedmoor name in 1926. Operated by the New York State Office of Mental Health, the campus once housed more than 7,000 patients at its peak in the 1950s. Several of its early 20th-century buildings were decommissioned as psychiatric care shifted toward outpatient treatment, leaving parts of the original complex vacant while the hospital continues to function on a reduced footprint nearby. The grounds also gave rise to the Living Museum, an on-site art studio and gallery founded in 1983 for patients working in the facility's occupational therapy program.
Photo taken in August 2019.