Creedmoor Psychiatric Center sits on a sprawling campus in Queens Village, New York, established in 1912 as the Farm Colony of Brooklyn State Hospital before being renamed Creedmoor State Hospital in 1926. At its peak in the 1950s, the facility housed more than 6,000 patients, making it one of the largest psychiatric institutions in the state. Deinstitutionalization policies beginning in the 1970s led to a sharp decline in population, and several original buildings on the campus were vacated by the 1990s while a working psychiatric center continued to operate on adjacent grounds. The abandoned structures, left with classroom furniture, medical equipment, and administrative debris still in place, have since become a well-known subject for urban exploration and preservation y.
Photo taken in August 2019.