Creedmoor Psychiatric Center opened in 1912 in Queens Village, New York, as the Farm Colony of Brooklyn State Hospital, later becoming an independent state-run psychiatric facility. At its peak in the 1950s, the campus housed more than 6,000 patients across dozens of buildings designed under the "Kirkbride-influenced" campus-style model favored by New York State asylums of the era. Several structures, including patient wards like this one, were vacated as the state shifted toward outpatient and community-based mental health care starting in the 1970s and 1980s. A smaller, active psychiatric center still operates elsewhere on the grounds under the New York State Office of Mental Health, while the abandoned wards have drawn ers and urban explorers for decades. Furnishings left behind, from wheelchairs to storage shelving, reflect the building's last use as a residential care unit before closure.
Photo taken in August 2019.