The Santa Catalina Arch spans Calle del Arco in Antigua Guatemala, connecting a former Santa Catalina convent to a school on the opposite side of the street. Nuns built the arch in 1694 so they could cross without being seen in public, in keeping with the cloistered order's vows of seclusion. A clock was added to the structure in the 19th century by Antigua's last colonial-era clockmaker. Antigua itself served as the capital of the Kingdom of Guatemala until earthquakes destroyed much of the city in 1773, prompting the Spanish crown to relocate the capital to present-day Guatemala City. UNESCO designated Antigua a World Heritage Site in 1979, citing its well-preserved Spanish Baroque architecture and colonial urban layout.
Photo taken in February 2020.